The PRI’s Articles of Association require the PRI to formally consult with signatories before the adoption of: its three-year strategic plan, making material changes to its governance structure, the Objects and/or Mission, the Principles or the signatory fee structure.
For each consultation, the PRI will publish a consultation document, allow a consultation period of at least a four weeks, and provide multiple channels for signatories to provide feedback, including at regional events and webinars. As part of its commitment to transparency, the PRI will publish a summary of the feedback received from signatories, their full consultation responses, and a formal response to this feedback from the PRI Board after each consultation period closes.
asset owner survey
- the PRI Blueprint objectives, including empowering asset owners;
- environmental, social and governance issues;
- how effective the PRI is in supporting you; and
- the value of ongoing asset owner focused resources.
Serious violations policy
November 6 – December 1, 2017
The PRI Initiative’s integrity is dependent both on the actions of the Initiative and collective commitment and good efforts of PRI signatories to the PRI Initiative, its objects and the implementation of the Principles. The Serious violations policy is one means to safeguard the reputation, integrity and good efforts of the PRI and its signatories.
The purpose of the formal policy was to provide: the Board and Executive with a formal process to reference when there is an allegation of a serious violation; and assurance to signatories that there is a process and predictable response to a serious violation.
Read the consultation paper here.
The PRI welcomed constructive comments from signatories on the draft policy, particularly:
- Does the policy effectively support the stated objectives?
- How could the policy be improved?
The PRI Board will reflect on feedback received from signatories before approving the policy.
PRI 2018-21 strategy
October 18 – November 15, 2017
In April 2017, the PRI launched the Blueprint for responsible investment, the vision for the next ten years of responsible investment. The Blueprint provides the long-term framework for the three-year (2018-21) strategic objectives and the enabling environment. The PRI conducted a formal consultation on the three-year strategy via an on-line survey and a series of webinars.
We asked signatories four questions about the three-year strategic plan:
- Will the proposed strategy effectively start the delivery of the Blueprint? Are the proposed initiatives the right ones and the right level of ambition for this initial period?
- Are the strategic objectives the right ones? Are we focusing on the right objectives in each of the nine Blueprint areas?
- Does the strategy work for you? How will this proposed strategy affect or influence your organisation? To what extent will it support you in your work to integrate ESG issues?
- Are the enablers right? Is the PRI taking the right actions for the delivery of the strategy?
The PRI received 76 submissions to the on-line consultation and a further 73 signatories participated in the consultation webinars. We would like to thank all signatories and other stakeholders for their participation.
The Board took notice of the signatory feedback before approving the three-year strategy at their Board meeting in November 2017.
Read the consultation paper here.
Access the webinar recording here.
Proposals and methods to strengthen PRI signatory accountability
August 1 – September 30, 2017
This public consultation aimed to collect detailed feedback on the PRI’s proposals for future minimum requirements and leadership criteria applicable to its signatories. It provides participants with in-depth descriptions of the proposed criteria, methods and rationales and aims to collect detailed feedback. The responses to the public, online survey together with feedback from a dedicated session at PRI in Person on September 25 will be evaluated and published later in the year.
Read the consultation paper in English here.
The PRI received over 180 submissions to the on-line consultation and more than 100 signatories participated in the roundtable event at PRI in Person. We would like to thank all signatories and other stakeholders for their participation.
The Board took notice of the signatory feedback before approving implementing minimum requirements for signatories at their Board meeting in November 2017. A full overview of the PRI’s minimum requirements can be found here.
The Board will meet again in March 2018 to further discuss details of showcasing leadership for signatories. A full update can be found here.
SUSTAINABLE FINANCIAL SYSTEM, PRINCIPLES, IMPACT
June 6- August 5, 2016
The PRI received nearly 200 submissions to the consultation and would like to thank signatories and stakeholders for their participation. An Executive Summary of the feedback is available here.
This consultation has 4 objectives:
- Determine which of the obstacles to a sustainable financial system lying within market practices, structures and regulation the PRI and its signatories should work together to address.
- Determine the extent to which the PRI should use the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as a framework to encourage and measure the 'real world' impact of responsible investment activity by signatories on the environment and society.
- Determine whether the Principles should be updated to reflect the issues raised in this paper.
- Determine how the PRI should define and measure its own success over the next decade.
In September 2016, the PRI released its report Sustainable financial system: nine priority conditions to address. The consultation set out the PRI’s work on a sustainable financial system which will form part of its ten-year Blueprint for Responsible Investment, due for release in March 2017. To provide feedback on the report or for further information on the PRI’s sustainable financial system work, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The PRI hosted two webinars on 6 July to update signatories on the objectives of the second consultation. A webinar recording is available here and the slides can be downloaded here. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
The PRI Board published high-level recommendations in response to the consultation findings at its Signatory General Meeting (SGM) on 6 September 2016. These will form part of the PRI’s Blueprint for Responsible Investment, which will be published in early 2017 and outline an ambitious agenda for action by the PRI and the wider responsible investment community for the coming decade.
STRENGTHENING ACCOUNTABILITY, RECOGNISING DIVERSITY
December 2015 – March 2016.
The PRI received more than 500 submissions to the consultation and would like to thank signatories and stakeholders for their participation. An Executive Summary of the feedback is available here.
You can review the full response submitted by each organisation here.
This consultation had two overarching objectives:
- to determine how the PRI can better recognise diversity across its signatory base, allowing market forces to promote wider adoption of responsible investing practices while ensuring that the PRI remains inclusive and continues to welcome new signatories;
- to identify additional accountability mechanism/s that could be introduced to ensure signatories currently making little or no progress are incentivised to do more, and determine whether those who show no progress over time should be delisted.